Pages

2.12.2011

A Musical Guide to Surviving Valentine's Day

It's that time again. Happy National Greeting Card Scam Day  Valentine's Day! The day where Hallmark  St. Valentine gives you a day to tell your better half how much you love them, even though that should be everyday.

Some people might be in relationships. Great for you. You go spend $40+ to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife you love them. To the others, it's ok. You don't need a partner. Save your money!

I have prepared a music list for the heartbroken, the revenge seekers, and those obnoxious lovebirds, where everyone and anyone can make it passed the Valentine's Day weekend. Five songs are the cure. And guess what? It's totally free!


The Heartbroken
It's ok, really. You're too good for this scam holiday. But if you're the one who's crying over someone not good enough for you, try these five songs. Hopefully they'll stitch your broken heart. So put those Sweetheart candy's down! The only thing they're good for is the additional calories to burn at the gym.

5. "The Harold Song" by Ke$ha

I know you're probably rolling your eyes. "Ke$ha? Really? This is crap!" But let me explain. Sure, she's known for her raps and her drunken lyrics. She's the anthem of a college student's weekend. But this song is one of her best songs because she actually sings it, minus auto-tune. Yay accomplishments! What makes it really ironic is that Ke$ha wrote it completely by herself, not with her songwriting posse. Give it a try, Trust me. I won't let you down. That party girl who uses Jack instead of Crest does have a sensitive side.

"They say that true love hurts, well this could almost kill me. Young love murder, that is what this must be. I would give it all to not be sleeping alone."

4.  "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" by Jimmy Ruffin.

Yes, I'm going all 1966 on you. But this classic is the anthem to the brokenhearted. It must be. It says so in the title.

"Love's happiness is just an illusion filled with sadness and confusion"

3. "In Another Life" by The Veronicas

If you really want a sad song, listen to the Australian sister duo, especially if you were the one who ended things and regret it. They'll serenade you and feel you're pain.

"You know I love you, I really do but I can't fight anymore for you. And I don't know, maybe we'll be together again sometime, in another life."

2. "With or Without You" by U2

Beautiful. You should know it already and you should know why it's amazing. Poor Bono.

"Sleight of hand and twist of fate. On a bed of nails she makes me wait. And I wait without you."

1. "Konstantine" by Something Corporate


Best 9 minutes and 36 seconds of your life. It was written by the unknown musical god, Andrew McMahon. He will ease all your sorrows away. I promise.

"I can't imagine all the people that you know and the places that you go when the lights are turned down low. And I don't understand all the things you've seen but I'm slipping in between you and your big dreams. It's always you and my big dreams."

The Revenge Seekers
Are you going all Taylor Swift this Valentine's Day? Great! Let me help you plan out your revenge. Remember, violence is really not the answer. Music is more powerful.

5. "Hate (I Really Don't Like You)" by Plain White T's

They might not be the best band around, but this song is pretty catchy and will cool down your boiling blood.

"Now that it's over I don't know what I liked about you.  Brought you around and you just brought me down. Hate is a strong word, but I really really really don't like you." 


4. "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri

You've heard this song on today's Top 40 radio, but Christina Perri is like the 24-year-old non country/pop Taylor Swift.

"You're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul. So don't come back for me. Who do you think you are?"


Ouch. That guy needs to use that ice inside his soul to cool down that burn.


3. Taylor Swift songs "Dear John," "Forever and Always," "Picture to Burn," "Should've Said No," "You're Not Sorry."

You really think we can make a relationship list and not have T-Swizzle on it? Please.

2. "The Boys You Do (Get Back at You)" by The Summer Set

Upbeat, filled with anger and revenge. Great dance song.

"I bet you thought I'd throw the fight  oh you just don't know how low I can go like [oh, oh, oh] you're making me sick, girl."

1. "According to You" by Orianthi

Those Down Under chicks know how to write songs. Yes, you've heard this on the radio, but talk about Girl Power! Orianthi kicks those boys where it counts with her lyrics and mad guitar skills. You know she was supposed to be Michael Jackson's guitarist on his "This Is It" tour?

"But according to me, you're stupid, you're useless, you can't do anything right."

The Lovebirds
I guess you deserve a playlist too. But the PDA has to go. It's the reason why a lot of people despise you on Valentine's Day.

5. "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by American Idol judge Aerosmith

Classic.

"Lying close to you feeling your heart beating. And I'm wondering what you're dreaming, wondering if it's me you're seeing. Then I kiss your eyes and thank God we're together. And I just wanna stay with you in this moment forever, forever and ever."

4.  "So in Love" by The Icarus Account

They are an unknown band of two, but sing one of the best love songs today. And guess what? It's not overplayed by the radio.

"Your hand it fits perfect in mine. The world has stopped and so has time."


3. "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds

If you haven't heard of Ben Folds yet, stop hiding under that rock and listen to him! This song is perfect for those in a long relationship.

"And where was I before the day that I first saw your lovely face? Now I see it everyday. And I know that I am the luckiest."

2. "Annie's Song" by John Denver


Don't roll your eyes. If you want a love song, you need to listen to a little bit of John Denver. Beautiful melody, beautiful lyrics. May he RIP.


"You fill up my senses like a night in the forest, like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain, like a storm in the desert, like a sleepy blue ocean. You fill up my senses, come fill me again."

1. "Konstantine" by Something Corporate


Yes, I know I've told the heartbroken to listen but this song is just so good, you can consider it as a love song or a breakup song. I love this song so much, I even work out to it on the elliptical. Don't judge.


"I always catch the clock it's 11:11 and now you want to talk. It's not hard to dream you'll always be my Konstantine."

And there is your musical guide to surviving Valentine's Day 2011. Hopefully these five songs will help make that awful day a good one. Remember heartbroken ones or revenge seekers, you don't need a guy/girl in your life to make it great. As Bruno Mars would say (as he's singing on the radio right now), "You're amazing just the way you are." If they can't see that, then Cee Lo Green them! Forget you!

And stay away from that candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment